English is a beautiful language but there is more to it.
It is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world so it is not surprising that so many people want to learn how to speak English.
Let's look at these lesser-known fcts today to brush up our knowledge futher.
1. 'I am.’ is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.
2. There is no word in the English language that rhymes with month, orange, silver or purple.
3. The longest word in English has 45 letters: ‘
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilico volcanoconiosis’! It is a type of lung disease caused by inhaling ash and sand dust.
4. The following sentence contains seven different spellings of the sound “ee”: ‘He believed Caesar could see people seizing the seas’.
5. Due to a printing error, there was a word in the English dictionary from 1932 to 1940 which didn’t have a meaning. The word was ‘Dord’ and it became known as ‘ghost word’.
6. ‘Pronunciation’ is the word which is most mispronounced in the English language!
7. The most difficult tongue twister in the English language is “sixth sick sheik’s sixth sheep’s sick”.
8. The longest English word that can be spelled without repeating any letters is ‘uncopyrightable’.
9. English actually originates from what is now called north west Germany and the Netherlands.
10. The phrase “long time no see” is believed to be a literal translation of a Native American or Chinese phrase as it is not grammatically correct.
(Visited 32 times, 1 visits today)